Patricia wrote: I am a long time Adobe Photoshop user, have been using a very, very, VERY old version—it works great but I know the time is coming…
…I downloaded a trial version of the latest and for the life of me cannot find any major difference. Other than 3D—if someone can KINDLY point out, what is better by far, I would appreciate it. I am a digital artist, and maybe that is, why it dosen’t change much for me. But otherwise—HELP!!!
— Patricia Avant, on LinkedIn
I use from time to time the same version as you, Patricia, so only one most important difference between version, clou for daily use, is this:
- Adobe Photoshop CS6/ CC is hardly faster than Adobe Photoshop CS1.
During work with big files you have to count the differences in minutes!
New version of Adobe Photoshop (exactly Adobe Photoshop CC, because of Adobe rules, we do not have any other alternative this days):
- is compatible with new operating systems (what is not important for you, as I see, especially when you will realize, also, Adobe Photoshop CS1 is still working on new systems, e.g. in Win 8.1 x64 for sure, so…),
- is a part of automatic workflow implemented in Adobe family (you know that feature, because some parts of code from Adobe inDesign CS or Adobe Illustrator CS were included in old Adobe Photoshop CS1 also, but now some never apps do not work in auto mode with your old one, e.g. some Lightroom’s features will be not working with Adobe Photoshop CS1),
- has much more nested group feature,
- has big undo (up to 1000 steps in History),
- smart guides,
- has move to pixel grid feature,
- has some small amendment in Typography Engine,
- has big amendment in Selection Tools,
- has some fine tools for distortion like Puppets Warp or better Liquify etc.,
- has some more, some redraw layer transition,
- has some new tools and brushes,
- needs Scratch Disk in Gigabytes,
- has Smart Object feature (not so cool as most user think it is, it is danger exactly),
- has hardware acceleration (but useless in systems with nVidia Optimus),
- used to check an activation many times during work, sometimes 3 or 5 times per day, especially before the end of pay period, what makes user really confused, when you have to log in to server and accept the license each time, but, otherwise, Adobe Photoshop CS1 is not „re-activable” today (the servers gone, but Adobe gives for that issue free Adobe CS2 for eligible users),
- last but not least, is not you anymore, the program will be valid as long as you will pay for + one month of trial.
That are key differences between Adobe Photoshop CC and your software for daily use.
But Adobe Photoshop CS1 is still a gambler! Especially on old machines, on which new operating system or new Adobe Photoshop CC will never start, on virtual machines etc.
@ Marek—1000 undo’s whoa!
Are you also saying that if I signup for the membership it will make it impossible for me to use my older version?
Dear Patricia, I am so sorry for not clear explication. Give me a chance to clear that more:
- Of course not! Your legal Adobe CS1 is still yours as long you don’t breake the license. But Adobe switched off activation servers for old software.
So, if your Adobe CS1 will be not working with activation, you are eligible to use special Adobe CS2 with switched off activation. But remember, please, you must have valid license still. It is not give-away.
More on Creamteam Branding & Advertising Design Studio blog, but only in Polish, sorry (links are in English).
- Only one program from Adobe CC, as I know, removes previous version of itself. It’s Adobe Acrobat. All Photoshop version are working together fine.
- YEP, 1000 Undo is fine! But please remember, sometimes for change app you need to change so much expensive hardware. Especially for that Undo you need:
- much bigger hard disk than usual (e.g. 2GB photo needs sometimes 50 GB of HDD for scratch file),
- more RAM,
- for more RAM (more than 3GB) you need x64 operating system,
- for that system you need new hardware, so care about i7 CPU is the best option.
I hope we help you to choose, which one version of Adobe Photoshop is better for you, because we, Creamteam Branding & Advertising Design Studio, are here for help, so, in any design, branding or advertising case try to, please:
- use our Creamteam Branding & Advertising Design Studio FAQ or Q&A (for now, use, please, a translator, we are working on English version now),
- follow Creamteam Branding & Advertising Design Studio on Facebook,
- check out evenly Creamteam Branding & Advertising Design Studio corporate profile on LinkedIn,
- call Creamteam Branding & Advertising Design Studio directly via e-mail,
- last but not least, ask mareksy, creative director of Creamteam Branding & Advertising Design Studio, directly on LinkedIn.